I’ve landed

February 12, 2005 · 5 comments

in News

After a nightmare journey I’m safe and sound in Chicago.

My flight from Newcastle to London was at 6:20am on Friday morning, so I would have had to get up at 4am. I tried to get some sleep on the Tursday night but I just couldn’t slip into dreamland. No problem I thought, I’ll sleep on the flight to Chicago from London.:yawn:

I boarded the flight and took my seat in the reasonably comfortable British Airways World Traveller section (economy). The seat next to me was empty and the aisle was occupied by some dude. As the rest of the flight filled up and every was getting settled I looked up the plane and saw there was no one coming to fill the empty seat next to me. I glanced over at the guy in the aisle and we both smiled realising we could both spread out a bit more.:-D

Then it happened, the stewardess was talking to the guy in the aisle. She said “Sir would you mind if we moved your seat over here to swap with this lady ? You’ll still have an aisle seat and it would mean she’d have the extra room for her child”. Aisle guy replied “sure no problem” and got up and moved.

So what I thought, I lose out on the extra room, no big deal. As the lady sat down with her child I realised why they moved her. The kid was 15 months old. She had one of those kid seat belts attached to him, he didn’t have his own seat and if the flight was full would have had to sit on his mum’s lap all the way. But no, the flight wasn’t full, the flight had 1 spare seat and it was next to me 🙁

I thought I’d best try to make friends with the kid so I gave him a goofy smile and waved. :wave: The Kid just starred at me. This was a sign.

The second the plane got airborne it started. The highest pitched screaming I’ve ever heard, combined with lots of wriggling and tears. |-| “Ohhhh Christ” I thought, please don’t say this is going to go on all flight. I couldn’t even turn on my MP3 player until the seat belt sign went out.

He did stop for about an hour during which time he decided to kick me repeatedly. And there was the hour he fell asleep. But that was when the food was being served and I didn’t want to miss out on my food :'( So I finished my meal and pushed my baseball cap forward over my eyes and extended my seat back. I was just starting to fall asleep again when “WHHHAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaa…” started again. Once again I put on my headphones and tried to sleep while listening to the most chilled out music I had on my player at full volume. 🙄

What have I learned from this. Sleep WELL before your flight, no matter what time it is. And always, always ask for an upgrade, it might just save you going through the worst 8 1/2 hours of your life. :**:


Chris February 14, 2005 at 6:09 am

Oh… god… but going through hell must make the final result that much sweeter. 🙂

Andi February 15, 2005 at 12:57 am

Dang. Sounds like you had quite an adventure. Hopefully those 8 1/2 hours are no sign of what the next 3 months will be like here in the states! Nah…we promise to treat you nice here. Well, at least in Vegas. Maybe. 🙂

Rob February 16, 2005 at 5:22 pm

Glad you made it safe and sound. I think it was just a preview for when you are hauling your own little bundle of joy back and forth across the pond. 🙂

Stoker February 21, 2005 at 1:04 pm

great stuff

Ed Hidden February 24, 2005 at 5:41 am

Wow… what a flight. I hope my flight to Vegas isn’t nearly as eventful.

Previous post:

Next post: